Notifications
Clear all

Tevo Tarantula info and auto bed level

Page 2 / 2

billybob
Topic starter
(@billybob)

Our first 3d printer worked perfect for several months then it started making parts that appeared to have issues with how much material was being applied. We had printed many parts and even build several other machines like MPCNC models.  

we dusted this old reliable off and are trying to get it back into service. 

1. we installed roller bearing slides
2 high quality print head
3 3d touch bed leveling

9 Replies
admin
Admin
(@admin)

I have been fighting with control boards and setting up this tarantula for months. I purchased a complete configured genL ver 1 from ebay, supposed to be configured for tarantula.  NO.  

WHAT A DISASTER FREAKEN CONFIGURING MARLIN AND DISPLAY ADAPTERS ARE

I am at wits end with the china crap. latest board from ebay bigtraatech skr v1.3. NO.  

Board doesn't answer, marlin config errors, no display.  Tech support sucks, tech pages don't communicate how to setup board that will work. Ebay purchase said tcm2208 drivers when it came with a4988. It's about time to shitcan all this china shit. I realize cheep is king but I am trying to run a business, 

When I know I have to do a board upgrade or replacement I know it's gonna take days to get the piece of shit china board to function, maybe even months. 

admin
Admin
(@admin)

This is a good start. 3 controller boards that have waisted countless hours of my time trying to get them to function

china control boards
admin
Admin
(@admin)

After trashing the china controllers for my tevo tarantula and examining the option to drive this printer, and what I would have to spend I have decided to try to configure a SKR ver1.3.  yes china crap again but I had bought this a while back from ebay cause I had a credit on my account and it came with a display. So needless to say this setup was not a plug and play, so I have had to learn about the driver options, the kit I bought was supposed to have TCM2208 drivers , of course it has been 5 months and it's to late to complain but ebay strikes again. the board has a4988 

so I am visiting screwtube to get an education on this board making sure it has the right jumpers set.

IMG 0099

So what I was looking for was the what is UART mode. So this clears it up.

Mode 3 allows the TMC2208-based SilentStepStick to be actively/dynamically controlled through UART (serial communications) by firmware (Marlin in this case).

You don't have to fiddle with jumpers to set your micro-steps, just change it in the firmware, and you can dynamically change the amount of current going to each stepper motor (no more adjusting that small potentiometer on the driver board) just by sending a GCode command (M906).

So besides the performance gains this is why TCM2208 drivers are wanted, my case is I have 8 A4988 drivers, 4 from a fifty dollar already configured piece of ebay tarantula configured never worked shit and 4 from this big tree POS kitso guess which drivers I am gonna use.

If it wasn't for the fact that this was my first printer and I have now taken on this do die mission I would just scrap this thing. what happens when getting started with this technology and not knowing anything about hardware , software, setup, or operating it gets fun to add to it. I changed out to rails, printed all kinds  of extras, changed the feeder and the hotend, yes I learned loads and even printed some amazing things, but there comes a time when buying a brand new system is the right answer. 

That leads ups to tomorrow. I am expecting a delivery from my daily delivery driver, this guy is so dedicated he even delivers on sunday, a brand new POS large format printer.  Yes Boys, when I saw the 219 price tage I put that baby in the basket and pulled the trigger. 

back to this control card, I watched a screwtube video about putting REPRAP on this dog

That's the ultimate goal. That might make the 3 days I wasted on this printer worth it because I can put some pressure on my brain.  Also this guy doing the instructing is watchable

admin
Admin
(@admin)

a4988 driver setup

Screenshot 2020 10 23 at 9.25.29 PM

billybob
Topic starter
(@billybob)

in the Bin!  It's official, Duet 2 wifi for all my 3d printers from now on

Page 2 / 2

©2021 LocalAd

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account