We are starting a 3d printer build for a newly designed High temp system
When I get this operational I will put together a build manual with high rez images. If you want more details or better images just ask. In this build process I am making changes to help in quicker builds. I am building separate components for spares and for mods. I am approaching this build as individual modules that can be removed and replaced quickly
These pictures are from the original builder and their process:
Today I start identifying the parts and start looking for materials. No China Build is the strategy
Every once in a while God throws me a bone. I have imagined this moment for the past week, at one point i figured it was never coming. The real issue is I just cant install a high temp hot end and go about printing exotic hight temp materials because that defetes the whole purpose of this build. Pellet extrusion of PEEK or PEKK was the objective!
Ok there is alot to unpack here. I finally gave up with the 2 hot-end blocks and made a heat element hot head. I found a 1.5 in copper bar and cut of a piece at the size in the plans. I drilled 2 holes for the heat elements and 2 for pt100 temp sensors.
Duet 2 WiFi is the controller and repietier is the firmware. all current
daughter card for pt100 sensors
skill level for duetwebcontrol (beginner)
The road traveled to get to this point has been extremely rough. Not just the mechanical build but the screw extractor and getting a control board to work took a month.
Getting the pellets to move from the hopper to the body down the screw and out a nozzle as melted plastic almost broke me. Also it looks like a .8mm tip is what is being used instead of .4.
What is important and what you will learn quickly is the extruder head assembly is going to be removed and alot and also it's going to get disassembled alot. Maybe this is just because of this type of winging it build, not alot of build information and no resources to study to reduce the learning curve and also tooling and techniques.
I have a system where I secure the complete assembly hanging from the side for testing. For cleaning I have 2 half washers that clamp the barrel to the frame, unfortunately I am using sheetmetal screws which is not a good longterm solution then again the complete frame is just a hack job so I could determine if this would ever work. The screw has to be removed hot so this system has to be a quick setup. remove 2 screws and pry off the barrel. The hot end with the heat elements stay on the barrel. The barrel gets reamed clean, the screw gets wire wheeled clean.
There are 2 70 watt heat elements in the copper heat block with 2 sensors.
the software is setup to control 1 heat element and 1 sensor, but the second heat element is attached to the first so both elements are hot and controlled together.
I had found with the other hot end setup that the pellets were getting to hot at the barrel inlet and sticking to it so they would not go down the funnel. I routed the funnel, changed the heat block, now it looks like I am getting there. I believe with the fans installed and operating the screw might become dependable.
Of course this is a learn as you go, hopefully after the bugs are gone I will have a dependable unit that requires light maintenance. It's funny when I was fighting getting the core x,y built, thinking it was never gonna work, that was nothing compared to the extruder.
Overall I believe the extruder is where the time investment will pay off. The duet controller is the future as I see it and the 2 together should allow building a large printer at least bigger than this silly 8x8 build bed.
The control is a work in progress because I have limited experience with duet. Getting the heat elements dependable and calibrated, getting them to stay on without errors, figuring out the feed rate and how to program the system, still a way to go but at least the extruder has finally melted plastic and pushed it out the nozzle.